Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chipotle Salsa with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes


I've never posted a recipe before but today I can't help myself.

You make salsa and you're still looking for that one, the perfect salsa, the one with great rich complex flavors and balance, the right amount of fresh cilantro, a tasty kick, and a very pleasant aftertaste. I'm talking about a salsa so good, if it were at a party and you were tasting it, it would be necessary for the host to come over and say, "Hey buddy, want to see the house?" and then lead you politely buy the arm (like the secret service) away from that salsa because, if he were to allow your salsa feeding frenzy to continue, there would be none left for the other guests, and they would be forced to eat the cheese ball that's so hard, there's a snapped stainless-steel spoon laying next to it.  Back to the salsa.

I too make a lot of salsa and I'm happy to say, last night I made the salsa described above. When I tasted it, something amazing happened. I took two semesters of Spanish in high school but I don't remember any of it except for, "Ola Isabel." But when I tasted this salsa, I began to speak in tongues, Spanish that is. I don't know exactly what I said but I remember hearing, "Maria," and "Mucho."

When (I say "when" because you are convinced you cannot live without knowing this salsa.) you make this, follow the recipe exactly the first time. Then you can make some changes if you want but I'm pretty sure you won't want to change the salsa, much like you would not want to change your husband or wife because they are perfect too.  This will make about thee cups.

1/4 of an onion, white or yellow, not sweet, chopped roughly
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds out and halved

1 can (14 oz or so) fire-roasted tomatoes
1 cup grape tomatoes (can use cherry tomatoes but grape tomatoes, at Costco, are better)
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (let sauce drip off peppers a little)
2 tsp of the adobo sauce

Kosher salt (it's going to be about 1 tsp)
1/2 tsp freshly-cracked black pepper
Juice of one lime

1/2 cup (packed) of freshly-chopped cilantro

In oven, broil the onion and jalapeño till edges start to brown. Set aside.
Put the second group in a food processor, add the jalapeño and onions, and pulse till still chunky but certainly not smooth.
Add pepper and lime. Then add salt to taste.

Add cilantro and pulse one or two more times. You should see the cilantro in the salsa. It's a beautiful thing, the red and green working together.

When you taste this, you'll begin to speak Spanish with a vocabulary that will surprise you because you'll make up words like me when I took a bite and said, "Mama Granadusta" and "Hista Mañana.
Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment